Skip to main content

27 Secrets About Me

Good morning! I would like to report that after a 3 week hiatus we worked out last night! I also ate a super healthy breakfast of greek yogurt, strawberries, walnuts, honey, and chia seeds, then washed it down with two raspberry and white chocolate muffins. Girl's gotta eat.

I have been trying to figure out what to write about this week, but couldn't think of anything! I asked for suggestions, and they're going to make some dynamite posts in the future! Thanks for contributing all the ideas. I loved them! I have limited time today, so I'm going to write about something I know well: myself.

Excuse me for being self-indulgent, but this is my blog, afterall. I'm not sure if this is exactly what I should write about today, but here it is, nonetheless. Also, Jesus loves you. There. That feels better.

Here's 27 things you might not know about me, AKA secrets. This was inspired by two friends who have been sharing some awesome stuff about themselves on FB and Instagram! Thanks Todd and Madeline!

I don't have a whole lot of recent photos of myself, so this particularly attractive photo Tina took of me will have to do.


1. I have two birthmarks, one on my right arm that looks like a chocolate chip cookie, and one on my back that looks like Africa. They're both pretty big, but they're harmless.

2. From 6th grade until I graduated college I picked the same 3 electives almost every semester/trimester: Spanish, choir, and LDS Seminary/Institute.

3. I participated in a pageant when I was 19 and I was an embarrassment to us all. True story.

4. I was a Congressional Page for the House of Representatives in Washington, DC. I made some pretty great friends there, got to be on CSPAN, shared an elevator with Kristen Bell, went to Obama's State of the Union Address, and saw Harrison Ford up close. 

5. I sing and play the piano. Not as much anymore, but I used to be pretty good.

6. I love people. I get along better with kids than adults, but I love adults, too. Regardless of how old you are, I can--and will--talk your ear off.

7. I was insanely boy crazy growing up. I had a boyfriend in kindergarten and I kissed him on the bus ride home almost every day. Don't worry guys, I got baptized. That one's covered. 

8. This one also goes along with #7.  In middle school and high school I used to use Facebook to meet guys online. I was pretty good at hiding it, so I don't think my parents knew about it. I gave out my phone number, home address, and met quite a few of them in person. I even ended up dating one of the guys I met on Facebook for several months. I am not proud of any of this AT ALL.  I was naive, and I was and still am an extremely trusting person. What I did was as stupid as you can get, not to mention dangerous! And I regret it SO MUCH. However, I am so thankful to God that nothing bad happened to me! Others are not so lucky. Parents, teens, kiddos, whoever is reading this, please be careful whom you talk to and whom your loved ones talk to online!

9. I'm left-handed. That's pretty underwhelming compared to the previous secret.

10. I love laughing. Some of my favorite shows are The Goldbergs, The Office, and Malcolm in the Middle. 

11. Ever since I was little I have wanted to be a pastry chef! I used to watch cooking shows on Discovery Channel and videotapes that my mom checked out for me from the library. She was also great at letting me help her in the kitchen. I have finally started an Instagram account ( @sugar.llama ) for my baking, in hopes that one day I will have a business! I have catered two weddings, and if I never do another event again, I can at least say that one time somebody liked my cupcakes enough to fly me on an airplane to bake for their wedding. Thanks, Dickmans! "You make my dreams come true." Name that reference.

12. That last one wasn't a movie quote, but if you have noticed from my past blog posts, I love movie quotes. I used to talk in movie quotes at dinner when I was little, specifically Little Rascals. I still have most of that movie memorized. So good.

13. Also going along with the last one, when I was little I would talk so much during dinner that everyone would finish theirs and leave the table. I wasn't allowed to leave the table until I was done eating, so I'd have to sit by myself and eat my dinner every night. Eventually, I wised up and ate my dinner really fast so that I wouldn't have to sit at the table by myself anymore. I could leave and do fun things, like watch Little Rascals. 

14. I get motion sick easily. Always have, probably always will. I can't play videogames because they make me sick. I can't read in the car or look away from the road for too long, and it's especially bad if I'm hot and I'm hungry. If I'm driving I'm okay, so I knew I was pregnant with Lil Spits because I drove through a round about and it made me nauseous. 

15. Step Up 3 is my favorite Step Up movie. 

16. I have a hard time with patience and speaking loudly. I have a quiet voice, therefore people tell me to speak up, and then I get mad. 

17. Do you remember that color personality test? I used to be a red/yellow when I was younger and last I checked I'm a blue/white.

18. I identify as a conservative, but I don't believe any political party is correct. There are good and bad things about all of them. Everyone just needs to be nice, value all life, work hard, be honest, and share. Sharing is caring.

19. I used to be self-conscious about my teeth, but I've had a lot of people tell me one of my best features is my smile. I've had 3 different dentists/orthodontists try to convince me to change it by adding caps on my teeth. I told them all no, because so many kind people have reached out to me, taken one of my insecurities and turned it around. Now, I am happy to have the smile I have. Just don't ask me to do lipstick. Not gonna happen. 

20. I know I'm going to lose a few blog followers over this, but I hate Grease and The Notebook.

21. Most of my wardrobe comes from thrift stores, hand-me-downs, and clothes people have given me. Thank you very much if you have contributed to my closet. 

22. I graduated Magna Cum Laude with a Bachelor's Degree in Family & Consumer Sciences from Utah State University. There was a joke that two of the requirements to graduate from that major were getting married and having a baby. When I graduated, I was married and 6 months pregnant with Tina.

23. The weirdest things I've eaten are blood pudding and chicken hearts. I liked them both. 

24. I used to model for fashion shows at the local technology college. Never went pro, though.

25. My dad used to do my hair when I was little. He was really good at it, then suddenly in fifth grade I was expected to do my own hair! What's up with that? Anyway, I wore it in a slicked back ponytail every single day because it was the only hairstyle I knew how to do.

26. My parents got divorced when I was 15. It was rough, but a lot of good things have happened because of it. It taught me what I wanted in a marriage. If you know me, I had a lot of anxiety about getting married to Spouse Unit because I wanted to make absolutely sure that he was who I wanted to be with for eternity. Good news, he is. Also because of the divorce, I got an amazing stepdad and 6 stepsiblings. I don't know them as well as I should by now, and I'm sorry to say that. If you guys are reading this, I am sorry I haven't been very good about getting to know you and your families. You are wonderful people and I should have spent more time with you when I lived only a few hours away. I'm grateful for social media, though, because it lets me see what you guys are up to. I love you all. I hope you know that.

27. A lot of the things I post about on my blog are things that I struggle with. Budgeting, meal planning, cooking, baking, etc. You could call me a hypocrite, because I probably am one, but this hypocrite is also really good at rationalizing. And I say that I'm just human. 


Thanks for reading! See ya on the flip-flop,

Melissa

Comments