Skip to main content

Pumpkin Cinnamon Chip Oatmeal Cookies

Happy Pumpkin Friday, friends!

My friend Kiana from Glitter & Donuts has been doing Pumpkin Friday for six years during the fall and let me join in on the festivities this year! Head over to her blog and type "pumpkin" in her search bar to hit a treasure trove of pumpkin goodness!

How many more times can I use the word pumpkin? Pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin...

I might tweak it a little bit on my blog to Fall Baking Friday because there are so many yummy fall recipes I have up my sleeve (like this oh-so-so-good recipe for Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars) that I can't just limit it to pumpkin! Today, though, I promised pumpkin, so I'm gonna deliver.

Have you ever had a cookie that tasted better the second day? I hadn't either, until now. Last Friday when I made my homemade pumpkin puree I whipped up a batch of these Pumpkin Cinnamon Chip Oatmeal Cookies from Cooking Classy and took them over to game night at our friends' house. I wasn't sure that I loved them enough to divulge the recipe on the blog because I ate them straight out of the oven. The next day I tried them again, and all I can say is WOW. What a difference. These cookies definitely need a little time to cool before devouring (sorry warm cookie eaters) in order to have the ultimate Pumpkin Cinnamon Chip Oatmeal experience. 



Another note: These are soft and cakey like a regular pumpkin cookie, not chewy like an oatmeal cookie. If you want a chewier cookie, you can play with the measurements a little (less pumpkin, using old-fashioned rolled oats instead of quick oats, etc.) If you do that, let me know! I'd love to hear about your baking ventures!

PUMPKIN CINNAMON CHIP OATMEAL COOKIES
Original Recipe: Jaclyn from Cooking Classy
Modified by Melissa from The Frolics of Mama Llama
Yield: 4 dozen cookies

Ingredients: 
1 c. butter, softened (I always use salted)
1 1/3 c. packed brown sugar
2/3 c. granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 c. pumpkin puree
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. quick oats
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
(can substitute 2 1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice for cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger)
2 c. cinnamon chips (I used Hershey's)

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
In a large bowl, cream sugar, brown sugar, and softened butter. Add egg, vanilla, and pumpkin puree and mix to combine.
Stir in dry ingredients (flour, oats, baking soda, salt, spices, and cinnamon chips). Let sit for a few minutes while the oats absorb some of the moisture.
Using a cookie scoop, scoop out dough onto parchment-lined cookie sheet (Because the cookies are a little cakey they're going to be hard to get off the sheet unless you have something between the sheet and the cookie. General rule of thumb is 12 cookies per sheet until I know how they're going to spread).
Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the edges are golden. Allow cookies to cool completely before eating, and store in an airtight container. 

Let me know if your weekend plans include making and eating these cookies! I have something yummy planned for us to overindulge on while we watch LDS General Conference. It'll be on the blog next week, so stay tuned for that!

Thanks for reading, love you guys! See you on the flip-flop,

Melissa/The Mama Llama

Comments