Skip to main content

Fall Treat Friday: Pumpkin Pie

Happy Fall Treat Friday, pumpkin!

Last night I was babysitting for my friend's music class and when it was over, my friend told me she was going to make a gourmet pumpkin pie for her husband as a thank you gift for something nice he'd done. Well, the baby started salivating so I went to the store to grab the ingredients on the way home. This is one pregnancy craving I wasn't about to pass up.

No pies were made last night, but they were today! I got to hang out with one of my dear friends and we talked and assembled pies while our kids played. It was SO NICE. I definitely needed some adult interaction and baking time. Wins all around!*

Now, let me tell you about this pie. You probably have a favorite pumpkin pie recipe, but this one is my favorite. It's my birthday this weekend, and besides donuts and delicious pizza, I can't think of anything else I'd rather have. The keys to what make it so good are fresh pumpkin puree (recipe found here), a buttery pie crust, and sweetened condensed milk. If that doesn't make your mouth water I don't know what will.



PERFECT PIE CRUST from Simply Recipes

1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c cold butter, cut into pieces
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
3-4 Tbsp ice water

In a food processor, combine flour, butter, sugar, and salt. Pulse until butter is the size of peas, turn out into another bowl and add some of the cold water until the pie crust holds together. Flatten into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for 1/2 hour. 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Pull the dough out of the freezer and let it soften slightly so that you can roll it out. Flour the surface of the counter and sprinkle a little on top of your dough. Roll out into a large circle (11-12 inches in diameter), pick it up, and place it in a 9 inch pie plate. Crimp edges as you'd like. Place a piece of foil on top of the dough, fill with pie weights, dried beans, or uncooked rice. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove pie weights and foil, prick the bottom of the crust with a fork and return to the oven for another 10 minutes. Let cool slightly while making your filling.

PUMPKIN PIE from Joy of Cooking

2-3 eggs (2 for a firmer pie with a more pumpkin-y flavor, 3 for a more custardy filling)
2 c pumpkin puree
1 1/2 c sweetened condensed milk (1 can)
1/3 c packed brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves or allspice
1/2 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Pour into a prebaked 9 inch pie crust and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 35-45 minutes, or until firm (middle jiggles slightly and a knife inserted comes out mostly clean). Cool completely on a rack. Serving suggestion: can be refrigerated for up to 1 day, serve cold or room temp with ice cream or whipped cream. 

Pumpkin pie friends

What's your favorite kind of pie? How do you like to celebrate your birthday?

Let me know in the comments!

Thanks for reading! Now go have a good weekend and enjoy some pie!

Melissa/The Mama Llama




*Minus my accident prone kids! Lil Spits got a black eye two weeks ago, Tina got stitches in her forehead after falling off a stone picnic bench at the park, and today at our playdate I was worried we'd have to go back to the ER because Lil Spits ran into a the corner of a bedstand AND fell off a little windowsill and bit her lip. Some blood and bruises but thankfully nothing too serious. I'm going to have to start wrapping my kids in bubble wrap.

Comments