Skip to main content

Our Favorite Children's Books

Hello, my friends! We have thunderstorms galore in our neck of the city this week and we won't have access to a car, so, I'm going to either be brave or stupid and try my hand at potty training Tina. We've already tried a few times and failed miserably, but she has been showing a lot of signs lately that she's ready. I'm convinced that this is the week to do it. Yikes. Wish me luck. 

This honestly doesn't have anything to do with this week's topic, but I thought you might want to know what we've been up to! Slash you always have to start with small talk when you write a blog post for some weird reason. So, there you go. Moving on.

When I was pregnant with Tina, I had a book-themed baby shower at the library and we requested children's books in lieu of cards. Now we have a great little library of our own (with many people to thank for it! Thank you!) and today, I'm going to share with you our favorites!




My pick: The Seven Silly Eaters by Mary Ann Hoberman, illustrated by Marla Frazee

Synopsis: Mrs. Peters has 7 kids who are all picky eaters. One day, she has a conniption because she's sick of catering to everyone. She gives up on life, goes to bed, and her kids show their love for her by trying (and failing) to cook their favorite foods.

This is a book that I grew up reading. My mom gifted it to us, and I am so happy about that. Thanks, Mombie!  

Fun fact: After so many people asked about it, Hoberman developed a recipe for one of the foods in the book. I have yet to make it, but promise you that I will do it and I will blog about it!


Spouse Unit's pick: Kermit the Hermit by Bill Peet (also illustrated by Bill Peet)

Synopsis: A crotchety crab that also happens to be a hoarder has a near-death experience, thus leading to a change of heart. This book has some mad rhymes.

This is the original copy of the one Spouse Unit grew up reading. He and Tina love it! Thanks for parting with it, family of Spouse Unit! Miss ya'll, love ya'll!

Side note: Family of Spouse Unit went on an intense camping excursion last week and took llamas with them! Isn't that awesome!?


Tina's picks: My Wild Animal World: 9 books for little people by Usborne Books and Moo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra Boynton

Synopses: Nine tiny board books that tell about different animals, their habitats, diets, etc. They are so cute! The box they sit in doubles as a puzzle, too! Moo, Baa, La La La! is a pretty basic book on animal sounds, but the best part is hearing Tina make the sounds.

My Wild Animal World was gifted to us by one of my besties, who just happened to have the most beautiful baby recently (I'm her self-proclaimed godmother. Congrats on your entrance into this world, baby girl! I owe ya a book)! She got the set at a fair booth, but I found out recently that Usborne books sells the set, too! I'm grateful for this because these little books have been well-loved and we will probably be needing new ones, eventually. 

I can't remember who gifted Moo, Baa, La La La! to us (sorry!), but basically Sandra Boynton is the cat's pajamas. We love everything she writes and her illustrations are adorable. 

Lil Spits' pick: Pop! Goes the Weasel

Synopsis (warning: spoilers): The monkey chases the weasel, thinking it's all fun and games. The weasel gets sick of being bullied. He pops out and scares the living daylights out of that monkey. Not just a clever name. 

I don't think Lil Spits cares in the slightest about what the monkey and the weasel are doing, but the book is a crinkle book and it has a big ring for her to chew on. It's washable, which is nice, and we get to sing while we read it. We also have the crinkle version of The Itsy, Bitsy Spider, but don't get me started on that. The two books were added to our library by my dad, whose street name is "Grandpa D-Dawg," if you must know.


There you go! Over time our top picks may change, but this is just a glimpse into our library. We love reading, and we love that our kids love books, whether it's reading them or just tasting them.  


What are your favorite children's books? What are your tried and true potty training tips? Let me know in the comments below!


I want to end by taking a quick moment to say thanks so much to everyone who reads this blog. I absolutely love hearing that you're enjoying what you're reading. It makes me feel so good! I love ya'll! Hasta la pasta!

  

Comments

  1. A lot of our favorites are ones that we checkout from the Library.
    L loves one call Dinosaurumpus by Tony Mitton. It's really fun to read and it gets both babes up and hollering up a rumpus ;)
    We also love Moo, Baa, La, La, La and all Sandra Boynton books! Unfortunately there are hardly any at our library!
    Can I Play Too? By Mo Willems (we love a lot of Mo Willems' books) but this one had L rolling on the floor.
    Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed by Mo Willems
    Peek-a-Boo, Baby! Animals lift-a-flap was one that both of my boys LOVED between 6 and 18 months (read it over and over and over).
    Flip, Flap, Fly by Phyllis Root
    Little Mouse by Alison Murray - have this one checked out and I think it's adorable - even though my boys just like it okay.

    Now I wish I'd been keeping a list of all of the books that we love from the library, because there are soo many I'd love to own one day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment